Sullivan County is divided into 9 Civil Townships as follows: Cass, Curry,
Fairbanks, Gill, Haddon, Hamilton, Jackson, Jefferson and Turman.
Sullivan County was organized by an act of Legislature, which became effective
January 15, 1817.
Sullivan wasn't always the County Seat.
The first County Seat was Carlisle.
In 1819, the County Seat was moved to Merom where it remained for twenty-nine
On February 15, 1841, the Legislature passed an act that provided for a board
of commissioners to select a new seat of justice, to be located as near the
center of the county as possible. Sullivan, then an unbroken wilderness,
was selected and the present town was platted. The formal transfer of records
took place in 1843. By 1849 it contained the Courthouse, Jail, County Seminary,
Churches for the Methodists and Reformers, and 400 inhabitants.
According to the Society of Indiana Pioneers, an individual was a pioneer
of our county if they resided here on or before December 31, 1825.
The Courthouse, along with all records, was destroyed by fire February 6,
Indiana automobile License Plates issued in Sullivan County start with the
prefix 77 because it is the seventy-seventh county in alphabetical listing.