Greene County is divided into 15 Civil Townships as follows: Beech Creek,
Cass, Center, Fairplay, Grant, Highland, Jackson, Jefferson, Richland, Smith,
Stafford, Stockton, Taylor, Washington and Wright.
Greene County was organized effective February 5, 1821.
Bloomfield has not always been the County Seat.
The first County Seat was located at Burlington. The locating commissioners
had selected this site March 10, 1821, and Thomas Bradford, Frederick Shepherd
and Zebulon Hogue had donated the land. It became necessary to relocate in
1824 for the reason that an adequate supply of water was not obtainable at
this point. At this time, not a vestige remains of this former County
Peter C. Van Slyke, a wealthy landowner, offered to donate the land for the
location of a County Seat, which the commissioners accepted, and Bloomfield
came into being. The first sale of lots was set for April 22, 1824, and a
log Court House built that summer of "hewed logs, 26 by 20 feet, one story
and a half high, with one door and one window, with twelve lights in it (8
by 16) in the lower story, with a good poplar plank floor ... to be covered
with shingles" was in use; by 1849 the town of Bloomfield had a population
of about 200 inhabitants.
According to the Society of Indiana Pioneers, an individual was a pioneer
of our county if they resided here on or before December 31, 1830.
Indiana automobile License Plates issued in Greene County start with the
prefix 28 because it is the twenty-eighth county in alphabetical listing.