dward L. Jackson, the thirty-first (person to serve as) Governor of the State of Indiana, was born December 27, 1873, on a farm in Howard County, Indiana. His boyhood days were spent in Howard and Tipton counties where, as a son of a mill worker, he divided his time between work and schooling. While working in a stave factory and delivering newspapers at Tipton, Indiana, he took up the profession of law, studying at night and in spare moments in the office of Attorney Leroy B. Nash in Tipton, being admitted to the bar in 1898 at New Castle, Indiana.
Before he had reached his majority Jackson moved to Henry County with his parents and located in the village of Kennard, where he began the practice of law by renting desk space for 75 cents a month in the office of a doctor. In his early days as a lawyer his professional fees were so meager that it was necessary for him to work part time in a brickyard.
In 1900 he was nominated and elected Prosecuting Attorney of Henry County and was reelected in 1902. After his term as Prosecutor had expired, a vacancy occurred in the office of Judge of the Henry County Circuit Court and Governor J. Frank Hanly appointed him to fill this vacancy. Later he was elected to this judgeship serving about eight years.
In 1914, Ed Jackson was the Republican candidate for Secretary of State but was defeated. Again in 1916 he was the Republican nominee and was elected. After serving about one year of his term as Secretary of State, he resigned to volunteer for the First World War. After a few months in training camp, he was commissioned a Captain and later a Major, begin stationed at Toledo, Ohio, Battle Creek, Michigan and Lafayette, Indiana, where he was commandant of the S.A.T.C. at Purdue University.
Major Jackson then entered the practice of law at Lafayette, but in 1920 was appointed Secretary of State by Governor Goodrich to fill the vacancy caused by the death of W. A. Roach, appointed when Jackson resigned to enter the service of his country. In 1920 and 1922, he was reelected Secretary of State.
In 1924 the Republicans nominated him for Governor in the primary. He was elected at the fall election on November 4, and was inaugurated on January 12, 1925.
During his administration Governor Jackson stressed the necessity of the strictest economy; appropriations by the Legislature were curtailed to the minimum and a complete budget was adopted covering all the State's funds. IN pursuance of this policy the state debt of three and a half million dollars was paid and the state tax reduced from thirty cents to twenty-two.
He gave especial attention to the state road construction program and to the increased activities of the Department of Conservation. It was in part through his personal efforts that the first purchase for Dunes Park was made. He provided for a survey of the state universities and normal schools with a view of increasing their capacity and efficiency. He also promoted and greatly aided the movement for the national and state George Rogers Clark Memorial at Vincennes.
At the expiration of his term he re-entered the practice of law in Indianapolis.