arren T. McCray was the twenty-ninth (person to serve as) Governor of Indiana. He was born near Brook, Newton County, Indiana, on February 4, 1865. With his parents, Greenberry Ward and Martha (Galey) McCray, he moved to Kentland when he was four years of age. In this town he attended the public schools, graduating at the age of fifteen years and for the succeeding six years was a bookkeeper in the Discount and Deposit Bank of Kentland.
The day he attained his majority he formed a partnership with Willis Kirkpatrick and embarked in the grocery business. In a few years he severed his connections with this business and became associated with a firm that owned a number of grain elevators. Here his executive ability and capacity for leadership brought his election as President of the National Grain Dealers Association.
He served as Treasurer of the Board of Trustees of the Northern Hospital for Insane for eleven years, and as President of the State Board of Agriculture and during the First World War was Chairman of the Food Conservation Committee of Indiana, and a member of the United States Live Stock Advisory Committee. In 1922 he was chosen as Chairman of the Corn Belt Advisory Committee of the War Finance Corporation, which committee was instrumental in securing loans for farmers from the government on various farm commodities as security for these loans. He is one of the most prominent Hereford live stock breeders in the country, his herds having won many prizes at the National Live Stock Shows and established world records in the ring sale.
Warren T. McCray was a candidate for the Republican nomination for Governor in the 1916 primary but was defeated. He was nominated in 1920 and was elected Governor of Indiana, by a vote of 180,000 majority over Dr. Carleton B. McCulloch, Democrat.
During his term he advocated and supported many measures in the interest of education and encouraged the passing of bills that were urgently needed for the improvement of Indiana school facilities. He made a personal survey of school problems in the rural districts, with a view of being prepared to handle, in an intelligent manner, the problems incident to educational improvements. Most of the provisions of the present law governing compulsory school attendance and child labor were enacted at this time.
Road building was given a great impetus and a two-cent gasoline tax to provide additional revenue for road building was passed and the first budget law was enacted for both state and local governments. The reformatory at Pendleton was established and practically completed and at that time was one of the best-constructed prisons in the United States. During his administration 87 public buildings, all badly needed, were constructed at a cost of over $8,000,000.
At a special election in 1921 thirteen amendments to the state constitution sponsored by McCray were submitted to the voters. The amendment incorporating woman suffrage and limiting suffrage to citizens, but not requiring registration, was adopted.
Governor McCray and his family were the first to occupy the Governor's Mansion on Fall Creek Boulevard, given to Indiana by Indianapolis. He also remodeled the executive chambers in the State House.
He resigned the office of Governor on April 29, 1924, to take effect the following day; he is now at Kentland, Indiana, and re-establishing his famous herd of Hereford cattle.