County, located northwest of Indianapolis, is traversed by the Wabash and
the Tippecanoe Rivers and Deer and Wild Creeks. The land generally is made
up about equally of clay and black soil. On its western side the county borders
on what is known as the Grand Prairie.
In the early days the Wabash and Erie Canal offered great trade and export facilities. The city of Delphi, formerly known as Carrollton, is the County Seat. The incorporated towns are Camden, 538; Flora, 1,449, and Yeoman, 160. The county's population was 20,021 in 1890; 19,531 in 1900; 17,970 in 1910; 16,315 in 1920, and 15,049 in 1930.
Delphi, while a population of 1,929, is located seventeen miles northeast of LaFayette. Three railways offer transportation facilities. The city's industries include canning and factories for the manufacture of automobile tops, furniture, strawboard, and baskets.
Delphi's major points of interest are the courthouse with a monument to the soldiers and sailors of the Civil War, erected in 1862, and a statue, the "Color Bearer." The mounted cannon at the south entrance of the courthouse serves as a memorial to the Spanish War Veterans. In the building is a museum of historical crafts. Located in the Delphi School Gardens Park is the Boothroyd Memorial. Some of the old residences with their antique coverlets and the old clocks are points of artistic note.
In Burlington is the Doctor Anderson residence, a historic building, and in Camden is a memorial monument at the site of the first cabin in Carroll County. Also in the ton is the historic Doctor Armstrong residence. Lockport is the site of the French Post Park.
The county is noted for the beauty of its waterways and other natural beauty spots such as the Springburo [Springboro] and Carrollton Hills. Of historical significance are the remains of the old Wabash and Erie Canal.
According to 1935 census figures, Carroll County had fourteen manufacturing establishments employing seventy-nine wage earners on pay rolls of $58,409. The value of the products was $253,744.
The county had 1,831 farms averaging 122.3 acres each. The value of these farms was $15,031,251. A total of 83,717 head of livestock was reported.
Carroll County's tax valuation for 1936 was $24,749,070.